About Mlekarna Celeia
The company’s earliest beginnings date back to the wartime, when a small production facility in the centre of the town of Celje started bottling milk. In 1962, the dairy moved to a larger plant in Medlog near Celje, which had the capacity to process 20,000 litres of milk a day. In 1979, the dairy was joined by a cheese dairy in Šmarje.
It was again time to find larger premises for the growing dairy, and in 1984, production was launched in the idyllic rural setting of Arja vas near Petrovče. For reasons of economy, the Šmarje cheese dairy was moved to Arja vas in 1996, and at the same time, its cheese production line was modernised and automated. This made Mlekarna Celeia the largest and most highly-automated producer of semi-hard cheeses in Slovenia.
In terms of legal structure, the post-war socially-owned company was reorganised in the early 90s into the limited company Hmezad Celeia, mlekarstvo, sirarstvo in čebelarstvo (dairy, cheese-making and beekeeping), which meant it changed from a company in public ownership to a company with known owners. In 1995, it was renamed Mlekarna Celeia, mlekarstvo in sirarstvo, d.o.o. (dairy and cheese-making) and it still has this name today. In 1998, the company completed the investment of modernising and increasing the capacity of filling machinery for fermented products and the cheese cutting and packing line.
More investments followed in the next years:
- 2006 – purchase of a machine for filling cartons with or without sealing.
- 2007 – automation of the collection, sampling and analysis of raw milk in the field.
- 2007 – a new, modern heat exchanger was introduced in the pasteurisation process, ensuring that the milk is first heated to 74 °C to destroy all microorganisms harmful to human health and then cooled to 4 or 6 °C, as required.
- 2007 – automated milk typisation, which means removing fat from milk in the amount needed for specific products.
- 2008 – increased capacity of ageing tanks where plain yogurts, sour cream and crème fraîche are matured after the production process, and increased warehousing capacity.
- 2009 – investment into modernised pasteurisation, filling line, warehouse and equipment for pre-treating waste water. These projects were co-financed by means of SAPARD pre-accession assistance and the EAGGF structural fund.
- 2010 – refreshment of the Zelene Doline brand.
- 2012 – award of the “Grown/Produced without GMOs” certificate, which indicates that the certified food product complies with the requirements of the “Grown/Produced without GMOs” standard.
- 2012 – investment in a new filling line.
- 2013 – increased capacity of cottage cheese production.
- 2013 – investment in the production line for pureed cottage cheese and spreads.
- 2015 – fully certified as a Family Friendly Company.
- 2016 – construction of a new warehouse for production materials.
- 2016 – purchase of the PET-bottle filling machine (first run: in the production facility in Arja vas, 29 August 2016).
Vision, mission, policy
Our aim is to become the most successful Slovene dairy and to keep our place as a leading provider in Slovenia and a major provider in the markets of SE Europe.
Combining tradition and innovation for high-quality fresh products made with Slovene milk for the health and wellbeing of consumers.
Policy on quality, food safety, environmental management, and health and safety at work
Quality, food safety and care for the environment and a safe workplace are long-standing values of Mlekarna Celeia. We are the largest Slovene-owned dairy and a provider of quality fresh products made with Slovene milk produced without genetically modified organisms.
We are aware that quality is created by people – the employees. This is why we provide opportunities for their training and personal growth, encourage their creativity and ensure safe and healthy work conditions.
One aspect of our work is to maintain partnership links with our owners, who are also our suppliers, and strive for their satisfaction.
Our orientation is focused on the consumers. For customers of all generations who enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle, we will continue to be a visible provider of innovative quality products under our own brand – Zelene Doline.
Our entire policy on quality, food safety, environmental management, and health and safety at work is available to the public.
Statistical classification: G/ 15.510 Milk processing and preservation
The core business activities of Mlekarna Celeia, d.o.o. are:
- the purchase, collection and processing of milk for consumption;
- the production of various fermented products (plain and fruit yogurts, dessert yogurts, probiotic LCA yogurts, beverages, whipping cream, sour cream etc.);
- the production of semi-hard cheeses;
- the production of butter, whey concentrate and similar products; and
- the sale of merchandise.
The dairy sells its products under the umbrella brand Zelene Doline. This brand covers a wide range of products. The fundamental value fostered at the company is quality.
In addition to its own brands, the dairy also produces dairy products sold under commercial brands.